Chesterton Tribune

 

 

NIPSCO warns folks of carbon monoxide hazard

Back To Front Page

 

As winter moves into Northwest Indiana, NIPSCO is reminding customers of the importance of maintaining a safe home heating system.

An annual inspection is essential for every home’s furnace to ensure that it’s working efficiently and to keep folks safe from such hazards as carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas produced as a byproduct of burning fuels such as coal, wood, charcoal, natural gas, and fuel oil. It can be emitted by furnaces, generators, space heaters, stoves, fireplaces, water heaters and automobile exhaust. Carbon monoxide can be poisonous if allowed to build up in enclosed spaces.

“The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are flu-like, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion,” NIPSCO said. “At high levels, it can cause loss of consciousness and death. If you think you are suffering from CO poisoning, you should get fresh air immediately and call 911.”

Safety tips:

* Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home near the bedrooms, making sure it’s clear of furniture or draperies. Test the battery regularly.

* Do not use ovens, gas ranges, or grills to heat your home.

* Never use a generator inside your home, basement, garage or other enclosed or partially enclosed area.

* Never leave a car or lawn mower engine running in a shed, garage or any enclosed space.

For more important safety tips, visit www.NIPSCO.com/StaySafe

 

 

 

Posted 12/1/2016

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search