Chesterton Tribune

 

 

NIPSCO safety tips for winter heating

Back To Front Page

 

Safety hazards and other emergencies can occur without warning, and Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) crews often team up with public safety service personnel to respond to emergencies such as fires, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.

In 2016, NIPSCO responded to more than 40,000 such emergencies. In an effort to help reduce these hazards, NIPSCO is reminding customers to be prepared for two common winter emergencies.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that comes from burning fuels such as coal, wood, charcoal, natural gas, and fuel oil. It can be emitted by furnaces, generators, space heaters, stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, and automobile exhaust.

Carbon monoxide can be poisonous if allowed to build up in enclosed spaces. CO poisoning causes flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. At high levels, it can cause loss of consciousness and death.

If you think you are suffering from CO poisoning, you should get fresh air immediately and call 911.

Take action to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

* Have your furnace inspected by a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) professional to make sure itís operating safely and efficiently.

* Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home near the bedrooms, making sure itís clear of furniture or draperies. Test the battery regularly.

* Do not use ovens, gas ranges or grills to heat your home.

* Never use a generator inside your home, basement, garage or other enclosed area.

* Never leave a car or lawn mower engine running in a shed, garage or any enclosed space.

Gas Leaks

Natural gas is odorless, but natural gas providers like NIPSCO add a scent similar to rotten eggs so you can detect if thereís a leak in your home.

Take these immediate actions if you smell natural gas:

* Do NOT light matches, turn electrical switches on or off, or use a telephone in the building

* If you smell gas inside your home or business, get out immediately.

* From a safe place, call 911 and NIPSCOís emergency number (800) 634-3524 to report the leak. Remain outside until NIPSCO can send someone to check on the source of the odor.

For more important safety tips, visit www.NIPSCO.com/StaySafe

 

Posted 12/6/2017

 
 
 
 

 

 

Search This Site:

Custom Search